Home|About|See Tools|Check it Out|Try a Tool|See Manual|Downloads|Ordering CDs [Graphic version]
Tran: Here I explain why StrategyTools work for high school and beyond! This is a "behind - the - scenes" look at the science behind this computer program. Scroll down this window to meet the developers.
StrategyTools is a new kind of software to help YOU (youth) carry out tasks in school and community and plan for the future. Strategy Tools are made especially for your age group, considering your interests and challenges. There are 39 different Strategy Tools for you to use in high school and in your transition to adulthood. These software tools are called EPSS tools that means:
• E for electronic- makes tools easily available on your computer
• P for performance- focuses on your thinking and task performance
• S for support- provides tools to help you do what you want to do
• S for system- helps you use the tools in all areas of your life
StrategyTools are organized into six groups according to their purposes. Each cluster of tools is shown as a room in the school building to help you easily find the tools and think of the ways they are similar to help you.
» Library: These organization and time management tools help you plan your homework and activities, schedule your time, and make lists to monitor your tasks.
» Study Hall: These tools help you learn new information by taking notes, using re-wording strategies, and by organizing and comparing new information.
» Classroom: These tools help you use study and memory strategies, test yourself, compose essays, use rubrics to evaluate assignments, and plan/revise reports and projects.
» Computer Lab: These tools help you plan projects, gather information and organize sources, take notes, use rubrics to evaluate, and plan final reports. Use these tools for your own project or a group project.
» Conference Room: These problem-solving tools help you analyze problems, evaluate solutions, make choices, make commitments and plans for change, and monitor your progress.
» Information Center: These transition tools help you prepare for the future by analyzing your strengths and interests, locating jobs and education programs, exploring recreation and community programs, making action plans, and developing budgeting skills.
Why the Tools Work!
1 . There are reasons for the design of these tools that are based on research. Understanding the reasons may help the tools work for you.
The EPSS Tools support you in using learning strategies, self-control skills, and planning for your transition to the future. The content of the tools in these three areas are integrated with the EPSS support methods and software materials. When you combine skills from these three areas together, you are more likely to be successful than when you use skills in just one area.
2. Learning Strategies give you methods to learn and remember more successfully. The tools help you apply these methods to learning new information and showing that you have learned the information when taking tests and writing essays. Project strategy tools can guide you through working on projects with others over a longer period of time.
3. Self-Control Skills are made up of "thinking" and "doing" steps. The tools help you analyze problems, think about choices, make plans to change or control a behavior, and monitor how well the plan works for you. Organizational tools help you get organized and carry out your plans. Contracts help you make and carry out commitments.
4. Transition Planning tools move you toward the future. The tools help you develop self-awareness, participate in planning at school and in the community, learn to budget, and get involved in activities you like. The search tools help you look for jobs, explore further training or educational options, and locate services in the community for assistance.
5. EPSS Tools integrate these methods and materials into a support system for YOU! You are in control. You determine which tools to use, what content to type into the tools, when you will monitor your success, and what your next step will be. EPSS Tools are known as technology for the future!
StrategyTools are the right form, available at the right time, offered to you in the right place. StrategyTools support YOU when YOU are ready. All you need to do is open up the software on YOUR computer wherever YOU have access! These are YOUR tools!
Last modified: January 22, 2009. 11:50:21 am